Getting married and relocating to Italy tends to delay flight training...

I have no regrets really, except it's often hard to do everything we dream, especially if you don't predict the ramifications of following one dream over another.

I thought since a Pilot Licence is international*, give or take some extra recency flights once I get a license, I'd continue my flight training easy enough upon arrival to Italy, but it's not so simple. Italians are not into flying Cessna small planes for fun like Americans, and it's FAR more expensive. Even the airspace is taxed.

And even worse, the hours done in the US only count for about 10% of the real hours, when considered by European flight schools. Not for any good reason, but there it is.

Come to discover that many student pilots come to the US to train, as it's just not viable in EU.

Geez, who knew?

Now it's a question of how often can I get back and continue my training.

Here's a blurb from Wiki I should have read long time ago:

Pilot licensing or certification refers to permits to fly aircraft that are issued by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) in each country, establishing that the holder has met a specific set of knowledge and experience requirements. This includes taking a flying test. The certified pilot can then exercise a specific set of privileges in that nation's airspace.

Despite attempts to harmonize the requirements between nations, the differences in certification practices and standards from place to place serve to limit full international validity of the national qualifications.

In addition, U.S. pilots are certified, not licensed, although the word license is still commonly used informally. Legally, pilot certificates can be revoked by administrative action, whereas licensing (e.g., a driver's license) requires intervention by the judiciary system.

In the United States, pilot certification is regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), a branch of the Department of Transportation (DOT). A pilot is certified under the authority of Parts 61 and 141 of Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations, also known as the Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs).

In Canada, licensing is issued by Transport Canada. In the United Kingdom, licensing is issued by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). In most European countries, including the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, and many others, licensing is issued by the national aviation authority according to a set of common rules established by the Joint Aviation Authorities known as Joint Aviation Rules – Flight Crew Licensing (JAR-FCL).